Saturday, December 13, 2008

Since Betty doesn't know what I study....

Although I've been living with Betty for a semester, I find that she has no idea what I study. So, I am going to include parts of my paper that one of my teachers told me she really enjoyed.
Betty: I study anthropology, spanish, political science, and latin american and caribbean studies.
I know it has nothing to do with kinesiology but that's why you go to a liberal arts institution. love ya.

The Inclusion and Exclusion of Gender: How History and the Politics of Theory Shape
Interpretations of Identity

The (mis)understanding of gender has plagued anthropological research until the late 20th century. Male domination of the discipline produced blatant neglect of women and their roles which led to identity construction based on assumptions and poorly guided theories. However, as a result of the feminist movement, gender finally became more than just a label—it emerged as new discourse. Although both Evans-Pritchard and Hutchinson researched the Nuer peoples, their conclusions differ drastically: Evans-Pritchard’s structural-functionalist argument completely erases gender as a variable in the construction of social order and identity while Hutchinson’s reflexive lens examines gender roles as dynamic and integral to ethnic identity.

yours in the anthropological bond,
Geraldine

No comments: